This church is one of four designed by H. H. Seward and built under the terms of an 1811 Act of Parliament, which divided the Parish of Simonburn into smaller pastoral units.
St. Peter’s was consecrated in August 1818 and was the first church in the vicinity since the ancient medieval chapel at Haughton fell into disuse.
Interior, looking towards the altar.
View from the chancel, showing the "box pews" and organ.
The painting of the sanctuary ceiling represents a small survival of more extensive early painting within the church.
This is our much-loved coffee and children corner. Children are welcome to use the "busy bags" and child-friendly service books during services. Please stay for a coffee, available after every service.
The stained glass window at the South East corner of the nave bears the wheat sheaf trademark of Charles Kempe, one of the more highly regarded stained glass artists of his generation.
This is one of our Easter crosses, made from the previous Christmas tree, as a symbol of our faith.
These seats are an area for contemplation.
One of the earliest gravestones in the churchyard, is that of Thos Nixon of Wall, who was the contractor for this building. His grave lies at the West end of the South wall of the church.